Automated Vehicles (AV) are rapidly emerging as a transformative technology with the potential to revolutionize various sectors of transportation. From personal vehicles to shuttles, transit, freight, delivery and more, automation will reshape mobility in San Mateo County. Recognizing this potential, the San Mateo County Transportation Authority (SMCTA) and City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) are working together to develop the San Mateo Countywide Automated Vehicles Strategic Plan.
The SMCTA and C/CAG are co-sponsoring a Strategic Plan coupled with a five year action plan to prepare for the advent of AV in San Mateo County. The plan will include strategies and recommendations for the prioritization of AV pilots, projects, and activities that align with the federal, state, and local visions for AV deployment to improve connectivity and mobility.
– C/CAG (Co-Sponsor)
– SMCTA (Co-Sponsor)
– Identify current local, statewide, and federal policy and regulatory frameworks for AV
– Establish a shared vision for AV deployment that aligns with county and state objectives
– Identify opportunities and challenges for AV deployment and pilot projects
– Prioritize next steps for implementing AV Strategic Plan initiatives
- Phase 1 (Summer 2023): Identify the existing AV programs at the county, state, and federal levels through research and conversation with stakeholders, and local and state agencies
- Phase 2 (Fall 2023): Using stakeholder and public feedback, develop a framework for AV pilot programs, projects, and activities that align with County policies, plans, and funding opportunities
- Phase 3 (Winter 2023): Prepare the draft San Mateo AV Strategy, incorporating the feedback received from the public, stakeholders, and agencies
Ways to Get Involved!
- Virtual Workshop | San Mateo Countywide Automated Vehicles Strategic Plan
- – November 15, 2023, 6:00pm – 8:00pm | Register Online Here
- – Check the SMCTA’s Project website for more details.